Manufacturing of wire mesh has evolved since last 2 decades. The use of automation and programming has made the process of weaving quality wire mesh more reliable and repeatable.
There are various standard weaving patterns which are produced depending upon the requirement of the customer. The horizontal wire that runs across is called Weft and the one runs vertically is known as Warp. The different alternation of weft and warp wires and their wire thickness creates countless possibilities.
Let’s try to examine few weaving patterns.
THE PLAIN WEAVE:
- As the name suggest, plain weave is the most commonly used wire mesh weave across all the applications.
- Each Horizontal wire runs through the vertical wire at 90 degree.
- The wire diameter of Weft and Warp wire are same.
- The range of weaving this plain weave wire mesh is from 4 mesh to 400 mesh.
- This weaving pattern produces uniform SQUARE holes throughout the wire mesh roll.
- The strength of this weave is the least when compared to other weaving pattern.
THE PLAIN DUTCH WEAVE:
- The Plain Dutch Weave has the same weaving pattern as the plain weave, the difference is in the wire diameter.
- The Dutch weave is produced by running the fine wire horizontally (Weft) and the relatively coarse wire vertically ( Warp ) .
- This weave pattern is more rigid than plain weave and twill weave.
- Due to the combination of fine and coarse wire, finer aperture size can be achievable with higher dirt holding capacity and rigidity.
- Finer aperture size can be achieved with more dirt holding capacity.
THE TWILLED WEAVE:
- The Twilled Weave pattern is produced by running each vertical wire alternatively over and under two horizontal wires.
- The wire diameter of weft and warp wire is same .
- As compared to plain weave, heavier wire can be used to weave heavy meshes.
- These wire mesh are usually used in plastic reprocess applications.
THE DUTCH TWILLED WEAVE:
- The dutch twill weave mesh is produced similarly as twill weave, the only difference is in the wire diameter of the weft wire (wire running horizontally across the width of the roll).
- The weft wire is the fine wire with smaller wire diameter and the warp wire is the heavier wire with bigger wire diameter.
- Wire meshes with bigger wire diameter can be produced. These weave pattern is the most rigid amongst plain weave, plain dutch weave and Twilled weave.